Here’s What Causes Loose Skin – And What You Can Do About It
A woman’s body is an amazing creation, and keeping it healthy and happy is an ongoing process. As we age, it’s normal to experience changes – even those we don’t welcome with open arms. Loose or saggy skin around the face, neck, and chest can be one of these changes. The good news? There are a few ways to tighten skin and help prevent future sagging. Here’s what causes loose skin, and what you can do about it.
The Common Culprits of Loose Skin
Collagen and elastin are proteins in the body that keep skin smooth and free of wrinkles – the hallmarks of healthy and youthful-looking skin. Unfortunately, these proteins are broken down over time by things like aging, damage from the sun, and exposure to toxins in the air. As these proteins weaken, we notice more wrinkles, frown lines, and sagging skin.
As we age, we lose more than important proteins. The connective tissue that supports our bones, cartilage, and organs also becomes weaker. And as this supportive network weakens, so too does the skin surrounding these tissues. Aging also affects the distribution of fat in the body. What was once relatively evenly distributed in the body can begin to clump, and gravity does the rest.
- Sun Damage
There’s a reason that everyone from your dermatologist to your best friend reminds you to wear SPF every day. Not only is skin cancer a real threat, direct exposure to the sun ages your skin prematurely and zaps collagen.
- Pregnancy & Weight Loss
Losing weight rapidly – after a pregnancy, for example, or simply because you’ve committed to an exercise and nutrition plan – can also create loose skin. As you lose fat, especially if you’re doing so quickly, your skin may not have the elasticity to tighten accordingly.
While these are realities that may be out of your control, there are things you can do to tighten and tone and minimize the appearance of loose, sagging skin. And don’t worry – they don’t involve going under the knife!
A Clinical Solution
To be effective, any remedy for combating loose skin should focus on slowing the breakdown of collagen and elastin. In addition to a nutritious and balanced diet, plenty of water, and a resistance-based training program, there are topical products that are as soothing and hydrating as they are visibly successful. Our favorite? Tone Your Curves!
This natural body oil was created to tone, moisturize, and firm. Its clinically proven formula includes potent, powerful ingredients that boost collagen production for improved elasticity and a more youthful appearance.
- Indian Pennywort is a powerful extractive that strengthens connective tissue.
- Clary sage promotes collagen production by improving circulation.
- Geranium oil promotes cellular health by encouraging the recycling of dead cells and the production of new ones.
- Siberian Fir is a potent antioxidant with antibacterial and antimicrobial properties.
- Apricot kernel oil is high in oleic, linoleic and linolenic acids, plus vitamins E and C, for improved moisture, softness, elasticity, and a boost in collagen production.
- Sesame oil is high in essential vitamins and penetrates deeply into the skin to help regulate circulation.
Add Tone Your Curves to your regular skincare routine, and you’ll enjoy tighter, smoother skin in just 28 days. Think of it as you do nutrition and exercise – consistency is key.
Home remedies for skin tightening may not be quite as effective as a clinical product like Tone Your Curves, but you may still enjoy the pampering!
- Coffee is known to contain antioxidants that can slow the visible signs of aging skin. Try a homemade scrub of coffee grounds, brown sugar, and coconut oil for an exfoliating treatment that may temporarily tighten skin.
- Witch hazel is commonly used as an astringent to reduce the appearance of pores and tighten skin.
- Epsom salt baths can improve circulation and may temporarily give the appearance of tightened skin.
Aging gracefully doesn’t have to mean compromising. Remember to feel gratitude for the amazing creation that is your body, and remember too that you have a secret weapon if loose skin becomes bothersome.